Through the Premiere Play Festival, Premiere Stages has developed many plays that have gone on to have successful productions in New York and at regional theaters throughout the country. We strive to facilitate relationships between writers and theater professionals who we think will respond to their work, in hopes that plays developed at Premiere will go on to subsequent productions. We offer Play Festival writers we produce the option to retain the coveted “World Premiere” brand on their plays. Additionally, Premiere’s productions are consistently reviewed, scouted by major publishing houses, and honored by the American Theatre Critics Association.
From September 1, 2021 through November 15, 2021, Premiere Stages will accept submissions of unproduced plays written by playwrights affiliated with the greater metropolitan area. All plays submitted to the festival are evaluated by a panel of professional theater producers, directors, dramaturgs, playwrights, and publishers. Four or five finalists are subsequently selected for public Equity readings in March 2022.
- Plays must be full-length and have a cast size of no more than eight.
- Plays must be unpublished and unproduced (readings and workshops are okay), with no productions or publication currently scheduled.
- Playwrights must have strong affiliations with the greater metropolitan area (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and Delaware).
- Musicals, adaptations (of existing plays or other sources), and solo shows are not eligible.
- Submissions are limited to one script per playwright.
- Please contact Premiere Stages to inquire about submitting a script that has been previously submitted.
- Playwrights must be available for the development of their script (see 2022 schedule).
- Submissions are accepted September 1, 2021 through 11:59 p.m. on November 15, 2021. Submissions sent early in the submission window are strongly encouraged.